This page will be regularly maintained to keep our donors and those seeking food assistance up to date on the latest regarding the COVID-19 crisis in the Durham community.
Volunteers Needed on Wednesday Mornings!
Each Wednesday morning PORCH-Durham needs up to 8 drivers to deliver nonperishables to Riverside High School, site of DPS Foundation’s summer feeding deliveries. Visit here for more information and sign up.
Sign Up To Support Our Ongoing Food Collection!
Drop off food each Monday 9am-12pm! To eliminate the extra contact with the food we distribute, PORCH-Durham will not be holding our regular large collections. We are asking individuals and neighborhoods to donate directly to Inter-Faith Food Shuttle’s Child Food Hub at 2436 S Miami Blvd, where we share some warehouse space. We will resume regular collections as soon as possible. Please visit our Sign-Up Here and register your Neighborhood (or individual!) to drop off. *NO DROP OFF MEMORIAL DAY, 5/25/2020*
PORCH-Durham food collections are supporting hundreds of Durham Public School children and families through DPS Foundation and Durham FEAST, as well as IFFS’s Mobile Market and the food pantry in the McDougald Terrace neighborhood.
Monetary donations are also requested! You may donate here or mail a check to PORCH-Durham at PO Box 3203 Durham, NC 27715. We are purchasing grocery gift cards for non-food agencies who serve children in need, allowing families to shop for themselves during this uncertain time. Current supported groups include Durham Children’s Initiative, LEAP, Parktown Food Hub, and the food pantry in McDouagld Terrace. To date we have supplied over $21,000 in grocery gift cards. Please help us continue this support by donating today.
Food Assistance Resources*
- Text FOODNC or COMIDA to 877-877 to get direct messages regarding feeding sites closest to your home.
- Durham FEAST is a collaboration of Durham Public Schools, DPS Foundation, and numerous community organizations- including PORCH-Durham- that is working to feed Durham’s children who would otherwise be receiving school meals. ANY CHILD OF DURHAM is eligible to receive food through this group. Please visit the Durham FEAST website for more information.
*PORCH-Durham is a collection organization, and all food donated to PORCH-Durham is immediately passed to other -generally much larger- groups for distribution. We are not a pantry and do not have the capacity to serve individuals.
- Community Volunteer Needs:
- Durham FEAST needs dozens of volunteers each weekday. Visit here for info and sign-ups.
- Parktown Food Hub has volunteer needs listed here.
- Food Bank of Eastern and Central NC Volunteer needs here.
- Inter-Faith Food Shuttle has suspended all volunteer shifts (other than outdoor opportunities) as of Sunday, March 22. Click here for more info.
- Following us on Facebook and signing up for our newsletter are the best two ways to keep up with the ongoing needs and updates.
Thank you so much for your support! Please check back here for frequent updates.